230 volt ac unit and a 250 volt 30 amp outlet

Old 05-23-04, 05:03 PM
isukennedy
Visiting Guest
230 volt ac unit and a 250 volt 30 amp outlet

suggestions on how to make the ac unit work with the outlet? can i simply go to lowes and buy the appropriate outlet and replace the 250 v outlet with a 230 v one?

if so, how do i do it? any tips or tricks?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-04, 06:16 PM
The difference between 230 and 250 is meaningless. You don't have a voltage problem.

Does the plug fit the receptacle? If so, just plug it in. If you have to replace the receptacle because the prong configuration on the plug differs from the configuration of the receptacle, then you'll need to replace both the receptacle and the breaker. This only works if you replace the breaker with a lower-amp one. If you need a higher-amp one (unlikely), you'll need to replace the wire too.

Tell us more about what the plug looks like and what the receptacle looks like. Also, read the specs on the air conditioner and find out what size breaker it wants.

Old 05-25-04, 06:53 PM
isukennedy
Visiting Guest
got it changed, but...

got it changed out to a different recepticle that will work with the AC plug, pigtails and all, but it doesn't now, and didn't before have any power running to it. I checked it with a volt meter and... nothing.

i know its probably missing a connection somewhere, but i have no idea how the wiring was routed. any tips on trying to chase it down?

Old 05-26-04, 04:29 AM
Did you look in the panel to see if the other end of the wires are connected?

Old 05-26-04, 06:33 AM
Tell us more about what the plug looks like and what the old receptacle looks like. Also, read the specs on the air conditioner and find out what size breaker it wants.

Old 05-27-04, 04:15 PM
isukennedy
Visiting Guest
i get it

i'm an engineer (not electrical) so i do understand all that. i've wired a workshop with 3 different circuits before, so i have a pretty good understanding of what i'm looking at. the trouble is that i can't look at the circuit in question 'cause its behind a wall of a 25 year old house and the previous owners are, so far, untracable, so tracking down the wiring for it is turning out to be the big challenge.

Old 05-27-04, 04:25 PM
You can't see the plug and the receptacle? How did you plug it in?