Moving A/C Compressors

Old 05-24-04, 08:33 AM
hunterhw1
Visiting Guest
Moving A/C Compressors

My home has split system heat pumps, the compressors were installed right next to our deck. I am preparing to move them, I have a heat and air contractor doing the refrigeration work. I plan to do the electrical myself.

The units are currently wired with #12 copper and are fused at 20amps, the runs are very short (less than 5 feet). The new runs will be between 90 and 100 feet. I believe #10 copper should be used.

The plate on the units states that the max fuse is 25amps and that the minimum circuit amps are 14.8.

The refrigeration lines will be run down the side of the house in a plastic conduit.

Should I use a 25 amp breaker?
Is it ok to run the power in the conduit with the refrigeration lines?
Is #10 correct? What type of insulation is required?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 09:06 AM
#10 sounds good. Staying with #12 would be very marginal. #8 might even be healthier for the motor.

I doubt you'll find a 25-amp breaker. It's not a standard size. If the 20-amp breaker has been working for you, stay with it.

Old 05-24-04, 11:05 AM
As John said, you want larger wire than 12 gauge.

There is no reason to go to a larger breaker size, unless you have a problem with nuisance tripping.

You cannot run the wire in the same conduit as any other type of wires or lines.

Old 05-24-04, 12:43 PM
Extending the electric line for 100 additional feet is not a problem, but extending the refrigerant lines is a big deal. 100 ft of lines for a AC system is quite long... I've never seen them run inside plastic conduit either.. what happens if you have a leak? How will you find it?
Isn't there a better way to run the lines?