Water leak in meter base

Old 05-24-04, 07:34 AM
Cool Water leak in meter base

Hi:

Last fall I had the service to my camp replaced. It includes a 100amp meter base with the main disconnect (breaker) outside at the meter base as the breaker panel is on an inside wall.

This weekend I noticed water inside the main breaker compartment, to the point of actual drops of water.

Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or other sealing material on the inside of the main breaker compartment door? There isn't one and I would think it would prevent this problem.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 06:06 PM
The meter, main disconnect enclosure must be listed for outdoor use & therefore must be raintight.What type of cover does it have? Does it swing from the side with a latch on the opposite side {not raintight},or from the top with a latch at the bottom? It could also be whern the cable enters {assuming its from the top} the panel could have the connector installed improperly or it may be the wrong connector altogether.

Old 05-24-04, 06:11 PM
Most weatherproof panels don't use gaskets their design allows them to "shed" rainwater & keep the elements out.

Old 05-25-04, 02:49 AM
The cover swings from the top with the latch on the bottom. I looked closely at the bushing on top where the service cable enters and it seems well sealed.

Old 05-26-04, 03:36 AM
Bump. Bump-ity bump.

Old 05-26-04, 07:01 AM
Tom, I'm not sure what more information you are seeking. It leaks. It shouldn't leak. I don't think it's possible to figure out where the leak is without being able to see it.

Old 05-28-04, 06:24 AM
Could it just be condensation??