Replacing bedroom light switch

Old 05-24-04, 10:01 AM
Replacing bedroom light switch

I'm replacing our bedroom light switch, which is connected to a fan/light. The two wires going into the existing switch are black and red. I'm assuming the black wire is hot, and the red wire goes in the negative slot? I also have a three-way switch leftover from our basement remodel. Can I use that eventhough there is only 1 switch in the room?

Last edited by devin banion; 05-24-04 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 11:02 AM
There is no negative on a switch. One sdie of a switch is hot, the other side is switched hot. The black wire coming in is probably always hot, while the red wire cerries the switched current to the light.

Also your use of the term "slot " worries me. Do not use the back stab connections on the switch. Use the screw terminals only. backstabs have a tendency to loosen over time and become disconnected.

Do not use a dimmer switch on a fan, unless you want very short motor life.

Old 05-24-04, 11:14 AM
Could I use a three-way switch for this replacement eventhough there's not another switch for the light? I have an extra one from a previous job.

Old 05-24-04, 11:21 AM
Electrically yes. But by code no. A 2 way switch is marked on and off. 3 way and 4 way switches have no such markings.

A switch can be had under $1.00. Even a more expensive switch is only a little more. Why would you want to cut corners?

Plus there is the time factor. Other than going out to buy the switch, installing a two way switch is easy. Connect the wires, look at the markings and install the switch. With a 3 or 4 way switch you have to map out the switch to determine which terminals to use so the switch is oriented how you waould want it.

Old 05-24-04, 12:26 PM
Bob, I am not aware of any code that prohibits the use of a 3-way switch in the place of a 2-way switch.

Old 05-24-04, 12:29 PM
Perhaps it's local then. Or I could be wrong.