Fire in Wall Socket

Old 05-26-04, 03:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Fire in Wall Socket

My daughter bought an older trailer and the other day I was helping, using a power drill and I saw fire coming from the socket I was using. I immediately pulled the plug; then turned off the electricity.....while it was off, I took the socket apart and the way trailers are wired (one continuous wire) I couldn't tell where the problem was. When I resumed the electrical power through the house, there was no problem with fire anymore, but I wouldn't use the socket.

Why would the fire have started? Is she in danger of a house fire? Could it have been the insulation that was on fire? Would it be only the one socket? or does she need to worry about all of them now?
Old 05-26-04, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 15,588
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Generally that is caused by A: a worn receptical that doesn't grip the plug well. A poor electrical connection is a hot connection, especially with a heavy draw like a power tool.
B: Receptical installed using the "back stab" quick connections. End result, the same as above.

If it's an older structure, I'd replace all of the recepticals with new ones. A couple of bucks per wall goes a long way to sleeping better. It's one thing I do everytime I move, even when I was renting.
Old 05-27-04, 08:23 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Ron's possible explanations, and I'll add two more.

It could be due to aluminum wiring. Is the wiring aluminum?

It's also possible that the circuit was overloaded but the breaker didn't trip. This could be due to a faulty breaker, or due to the fact that somebody unwisely replaced the breaker with a larger one. Check the breaker (or fuse) and tell us what the amp rating is.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: