Spark in light switch

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-27-04, 04:52 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 228
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Spark in light switch

I've had ceiling fans installed in 2 bedrooms in place of the lights that were there. The (licensed) electricians used the existing hole in the wall from the single light switch, so in order to give me one switch for the lights and one for the fan, they mounted the buttons to be switched on/off horizontally instead of vertically on the plate.

My question: if it's dark and I go to turn the light or fan on, I can see a spark behind the switch button. Is that normal or do I need to call them back to look at it?

Thanks.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-27-04, 07:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any switch will spark, some more then others. Replacing the switch with a more expensive model will "hide" the spark from view.
 
  #3  
Old 05-27-04, 07:16 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small spark okay. Big spark bad. What is "small" and what is "big"? Hard to say. It's pretty subjective. I'd say that if the only way you notice the spark is to actively look for it in the dark, then it's probably small.

One of the purposes of the electrical box that the switch is in is to contain small sparks.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: