Must junction boxes be accessable?

Old 05-27-04, 07:03 AM
rsanford
Visiting Guest
Must junction boxes be accessable?

My wife and I just moved into our first house (2 1/2 story built in 1918), and we are looking into finishing the attic this summer. The old knob style 2-wire system was mostly replaced throughout the house, only 2 circuits remain with it. When re-wiring the second story, they ran the line from the service pannel up to the attic, and branched from there dropping to various outlets and light fixtures. As a result, there are about 12 junction boxes where the circuits have been branched scattered throughout the floor joists in the attic.

So, my question is, for code or safety reasons, would I need to make access ports to these boxes in the finished attic? Would I be better off just moving all the branches to the various receptical and fixture boxes?

A scarry storry, last night while investigating, I found that one of the mentioned junction boxes had a cable coming from it that was free on the other end. I thought to myself, "There's no way that is connected to anything in the box." While investigating I pulled the free end out of the floor joists and laid it out on the floor to make it more visible.

Well, about 30 minutes later I hear one of the breakers go in the basement. I check things out to find that the end of this cable is now charred to a crisp. I promptly reoved it from the box and circuit. Holy ****, I wonder what other traps the previous owners have laid for us?

--
Ryan

Old 05-27-04, 07:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, all junction boxes must remain permanently accessible. Access ports are one way of doing this. You may wish to consider some rewiring to reduce the number of ports required. Based on your scary story, you may want to rewire it anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: