Grounding satellite dish

Old 05-27-04, 08:28 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding satellite dish

I would like the proper way to ground a satellite dish to code although there will be no inspection. Thanks Bob

Old 05-28-04, 06:19 AM
I don't know of a code section that deals with required grounding of a satelite dish. If you wanted to be extra safe, you could sink a ground rod and then ground the dish to that with a section of wire. Your only problem might be a ground loop set up in the cable from the dish to the house. Sometimes the cable is bonded to the house's grounding grid at the house. Good luck!

Old 05-28-04, 07:35 AM
V
Generally speaking, when a dish is installed, the installer will use a cable that includes a seperate grounding conductor alongside the coaxial wire, with the ground wire being attached to the chassis of the dish. These are both connected to a coaxial ground block (ala: http://www.novastars.com/images/grb2.gif ). Then a ground wire (I have used 10ga copper) is run from the grounding block to a true ground (though often installers will just attach to the closest piece of pipe, regardless of whether that's the best choice or not).

Old 05-28-04, 07:47 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Installing a separate ground rod is definitely wrong. It should be grounded back to the building electrical ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: