pool wiring

Old 05-27-04, 05:04 PM
Arrow pool wiring

I have a junction box for my pool that contains wiring for lights in the pool and around it. The problem is the box was put in the ground below grade, so when it rains it floods with water, and shorts everything out. I would like to cut a hole in the bottom and connect a pvc drain line underground to a low spot. What I would like to know is would I be within code if I do this. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-04, 05:11 PM
You can buy an underground junction box. You can also buy underground splicing devices. Better yet, you can bring this box up above ground. There are many ways to do this right, but what you suggest isn't one of them.

Old 05-28-04, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
You can buy an underground junction box. You can also buy underground splicing devices. Better yet, you can bring this box up above ground. There are many ways to do this right, but what you suggest isn't one of them.
I was told that I could not raise the box because the wiring is fiber- optic and to short. The box is fiberglass.Thanks

Old 05-28-04, 02:12 PM
you might use silocone filled wire nuts to make connections. I don't know if they are rated for submersion though.

Old 05-28-04, 02:14 PM
Fiberoptics cannot be shorted out. And you can't use wire nuts to connect it. And as far as I know, you can't run power through it either.

Old 05-28-04, 02:36 PM
he probably meant that the lighting is fiber optic. the lamp is in the box and the fibers transfer the light to the pool. In that regard, my silocone wire nut solution probably won't work as the light source probably isn't rated for wet/submurged locations.

Scott E.

Old 05-28-04, 02:46 PM
I think he meant too short, as in not long enough.