Closeness of Oulet box and gas line connector

Old 05-28-04, 06:16 AM
Closeness of Oulet box and gas line connector

Do to space constaints I will have a plastic electrical outlet box within 1" of a naturnal gas line elbow. Both these lines feed a gas range. Is there any code or recommended distance between an outlet box and a gas line connection? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-04, 06:32 AM
This is fine. There is no minimum separation required.

Old 05-28-04, 06:51 AM
Thanks for quick response. An easier way to solve my space problem is to run a gas flex line from the range through the wall and down (10 inches) to the basement and connect to the gas line with a ball gas valve. Do you know if it is okay to have a range on one level and gas shut off valve on another level?

Old 05-28-04, 06:55 AM
My gut reaction is no, it is not OK. Due to the inherrant danger in gas leaks, I do not recommend that gas lines be worked on by anyone other than a licensed plummer.

Old 05-28-04, 07:08 AM
John, I appreciate your advice. Was your "it is not okay" in resonse to the closeness of the electric and gas lines or to the range and gas ball valves being on different levels?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 05-28-04, 07:13 AM
I do not believe that it is ok to have a gas shutoff for an appliance on a different level than the appliance. The box/pipe proximity should be no problem.

Old 05-28-04, 08:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Ron

Codes vary widely around the country. Also between locals within your area. May be best to contact your local building and or safety department(s).

Those offices will have the codes which contain the information you need. Locally to me, not to code. Electrical boxes, switches, etc cannot be in the same vertical location within vertical studs.

Electrical anything or any type of connections etc, within the walls is allowed but not those type services within the same space between studs.

The codes indicate and allow placement of electrical outlets, connection boxes, switches, near floor levels or above, etc, and where gaslines must be placed, etc.

All of which is, usually, easily understood & well explained in the rules & codes documents within the local codes....