Risk with metal studs?

Old 05-31-04, 10:10 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Risk with metal studs?

I have run a couple of electrical outlets in my basement through metal studs and I forgot to put the little plastic insulator sleeves in the pre-formed holes of the studs before running the wire. The basement has since been finished, and now of course I remember. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of realistic risk would I be taking if I left it like this? None of the wires were pulled tight throught the holes.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by C-COOP; 05-31-04 at 10:12 AM. Reason: title was too vague
Old 05-31-04, 02:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tough question. Not a lot of research goes into what happens if you do something wrong. The biggest risk is probably during the installation itself. If you feel confident that the cable was not damaged during installation, then I probably wouldn't lose that much sleep over it.

Old 06-01-04, 11:02 AM
It might depend on how much vibration is in the wall. Is this a section with a door in it (closing the door vibrates the wall). Vibration might eventually cause the unprotected steel to "saw" through the insulation and short out the wire. This would probably just trip the breaker, though it might start a fire.

Scott E.

Old 06-01-04, 02:06 PM
T
This assumes you used NM type cable. If you used metal clad (BX) then there is no problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: