Need electrical help #2

Old 06-03-04, 08:43 AM
tazman
Visiting Guest
Need electrical help #2

I have entered this question before on this board but didn’t put enough details into it so I am rewriting my question with all the info I can. And thank you for the responses I received the first time, It told me what I had done wrong the first time I tried this rewiring attempt.
I am trying to put in a wall socket into our foyer by wiring it into an existing switch box with two switches in it. The first switch is a three-way switch that controls our foyer light and the other switch controls our outside light. There are four cables coming into the existing switch box…

Cable one: black to top of the three-way switch
White to a wire nut

Cable two: black to the top of outside light switch
White to the wire nut

Cable three: black to bottom of the three-way switch
White to the bottom of the three-way switch
No ground wire

Cable four: black to bottom of outside light switch
White to wire nut

Cables 1,2 and 4 are grounded to the switch box

Now for my question: Can I wire in a wall outlet somewhere in this box? And if so where would be best place?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-04, 09:03 AM
I'll guess that the White wires in cables 2 & 4 are connected together. With the single-pole switch that controls the exterior fixture "Off", test for a CONSTANT 120 volts between the White-wires connection and one of the Black wires that connect to the SPS.

The 2-wire cable that extends to the new receptacle-outlet will connect to the "Live" Black and the White wires.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-04, 09:59 AM
First of all, completely ignore the 3-way switch and all the wires connected to it. They are of no use to you, and you should make no changes there.

The answer to your question is "yes", you can do this. Here's how (which are the same instructions as PATTBAA in different words):
  • Shut off the breaker.
  • Pull out the 2-way switch, disconnect the two wires (B2 and B4), and throw it away.
  • Go buy a combo device (a switch and receptacle in one unit).
  • Carefully examine the sides of the combo. On one side will be two brass screws connected by a tab. On the other side will be two screws not connected by a tab (probably one silver and one brass).
  • Connect B2 to either screw on the side with the tab.
  • Connect B4 to the other screw on the non-tab side (the screw on the switch end of the combo)
  • Run a short white wire from the silver screw on the non-tab side (on the receptacle end of the combo) to the wire nut with the other white wires.
  • Run grounding jumper wires from the other grounding wires (or the metal box) to the green screw on each switch (even if this connections wasn't there before--this will be an improvement).
  • Turn the breaker back on and test. If the receptacle is controlled by the switch and you don't want it to be, then shut off the breaker again and reverse the B2 and B4 connections.

Last edited by John Nelson; 06-03-04 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 10:03 AM
tazman
Visiting Guest
PATTBAA: All the white wires from cables 1,2 and 4 all end at the same wire nut.
So let me get this staight...when the SPS to the outside light is off one of the black wires to it will probably still be "Live"? And then I can just pigtail into them?

Old 06-03-04, 11:13 AM
Correct---

I suspect you failed to identify a 3-wire cable with a Red conductor in the switch outlet-box.You may find that the "live"-lead to the S-P-S connects to the Black wire of the 3-wire cable.

"Socket"---Are you connecting a liting fixture or a receptacle to the circuit?

Old 06-04-04, 08:30 AM
tazman
Visiting Guest
I'm trying to put in a outlet (receptical) in the foyer to plug a small lamp into.
This seems like this should be a simple thing to do but it has been quite an experience...LOL.

Old 06-04-04, 11:45 AM
We're glad you're still able to laugh about it.