Dedicated circuit according to NEC?

Old 06-03-04, 09:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dedicated circuit according to NEC?

I am re-wiring an older home and have been getting conflicting info from the resources I use. The city the home is in follows the NEC without additions to the code, according to the inspector I spoke with when I got the permit. Of course, I could either consult the NEC or go back to the inspector, but I'd rather ask you guys.

Does the garbage disposer have to be on a dedicated circuit? If so, can the other half of the split/switched receptacle be powered by the dedicated circuit the GFCI's (20A circuit) are on if I run 12/2 cable from the end-of-run receptacle using Load? Seems like it would help protect the alway hot half of the disposer receptacle since it is under the sink.

Thanks!

Last edited by LSummers; 06-03-04 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added information
Old 06-04-04, 06:50 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, a disposal does not need to be on its own dedicated circuit (although it's a good idea where feasible). In many homes, it shares a 20-amp circuit with the dishwasher. However, neither of these is allowed to be on any circuit which serves coutertop receptacles in the kitchen, or receptacles in a pantry or dining room.

Neither a disposal nor a dishwasher require (or even recommend) GFCI, and a receptacle under the sink does not either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: