Combo Switch Problem

Old 06-04-04, 07:44 AM
Combo Switch Problem

In my bathroom, I have an exhaust fan, a wall light, and an outlet all being spliced off the incoming hot hot and neutral from conduit. The fan and light are on a combo switch (one hot feed into there). But, I cannot use the outlet, or turn on the fan, without the light being on. If I turn the light off, I cannot operate anything else in the bathroom. The wiring is correct in the box...however an electrician a while back said something about the fan and light sharing the same neutral or something, but not quite sure what he meant. I thought about splicing the hot leg that is going to the combo switch into two legs and break the joining tab, but I dont think that would work since the outlet is already spliced off the hot feed but still has the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 07:53 AM
You have it wired wrong.

Tell us all the wiring in the box and we can sort it out. Be specific. Tell us what wires go where, what colors they are and tell us what the tabs on the devices are etc.

Old 06-04-04, 08:04 AM
The light switch should have 2 wire goning to one of the connections. It could be pigtailed. Remove one of those wires and connect it with the other wire on the light switch. If the light stays on always you moved the wrong wire. Put it back and try the other one.
If this combo is 2 switches in one unit then revesrse the 2 black wires on the light switch secton. The incoming hot sounds like it is not on the common terminal.

Old 06-04-04, 11:12 AM
The wiring exactly (by the way the wiring was like this when we moved in....we had an electrician add the GFCI outlet a few months ago):

Incoming conduit line with a red wire and a white wire. The outgoing feeds: 14/2 conduit (to the rest of the circuit), 14/2 conduit (to the wall light), 14/2 romex (to the exhaust fan). The incoming red wire is pigtailed to the GFCI, another pigtail to the combo switch, and the outgoing hot feed is spliced to it that goes to the other outlets in the circuit. All four neutrals are spliced together (3 outgoing, 1 incoming). The pigtail to the gfci is terminated at the LINE terminal (brass screw), the neutral to the silver screw in the LINE terminal. The pigtail to the combo switch is going to the brass screw with the tab intact. The exhaust fan's hot feed (black wire) is on the bottom screw terminal (when the switch is vertically facing), and the top screw to the wall light's hot feed (red wire) (this is the side of the switch opposite the hot feed terminals). The ground is through the conduit piping. I know the fan was added later on before we moved in but after the house was built. Input....

Old 06-04-04, 11:41 AM
I agree with Joed.

Wired incorrectly. Easy to fix.

Old 06-04-04, 11:41 AM
Call the electrician back. He/she screwed up. There's no reason you should have to sort this out.