Wall Switch

Old 06-04-04, 10:51 AM
coxt99
Visiting Guest
Question Wall Switch

I have been trying to figure out a problem with a wall switch that has not been working correctly since I moved in. The switch should be controlling two fixtures--ceiling and sconce. Here is what I have in the switch box: two old black fabric coated wires into box one of which is attached to the switch. Also, 3 additional wires into box--black, red, white--black is attached to switch, red is not connected to anything, and white is connected to the other black fabric wire.
The problem is that the switch only controls the ceiling while the sconce is always on. Also, two black fabric wires connect to the ceiling fixture.
Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 11:44 AM
The switch should be controlling two fixtures--ceiling and sconce
How do you know?

To sort this out, if even possible, with any assurance will require you to provide the same information about the wiring at the two lights as you have provided about the switch.

Old 06-04-04, 11:44 AM
Provide more information please.

Be specific.

What cables come into the box and how are the wires in those cables connected. it is unclear from your description what is connected to the switch. When you talk about the swirtch, describe WHERE on the switch the wires are connected.

The setup is obviously wired so that the sconce is always hot. Your task is to figure out what wires go to the sconce and rewire the setup correctly. You will have to do some investigating. But firest start by understanding what you prsently have.