3-way switches

Old 06-04-04, 12:22 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
3-way switches

does anyone have a link to a website which shows a diagram/schematic of the internal configuration of 3-way switches?

Thanks,

-Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 12:25 PM
Not sure what you're looking for. Why do you want a diagram of a three way switch? They're easy enough to draw by hand.

Old 06-04-04, 04:29 PM
Do you want a logical diagram, or one that actually shows the construction details? If you tell us why you want it, we might be able to better help.

This might (or might not) be what you're after.

Old 06-04-04, 10:14 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Do you want a logical diagram, or one that actually shows the construction details? If you tell us why you want it, we might be able to better help.

This might (or might not) be what you're after.
John, thanks for that link. I was just trying to visualize the common pole in the SPDT switch, and wondering if connecting the travelers in different ways would determine whether a light was on when both switches were UP vs one being UP and the other DOWN. Nothing serious, just inquisitive - I think I got it figured out

Thanks again,

-Terry

Old 06-05-04, 05:16 AM
Terry,

If I understand where you are going, I should caution you, not all manufacturers of three way (and four way switches for that matter) use the same arrangements, and if you mix manufacturers of switches you may find a difference.

For example, some 3 ways may have the screws for the travellers on opposite sides of the switch at one end with the common at the other end, while another manufacturer will have the common on one side with the travellers on the other side.

If you want to position two three ways so that the light is on when both switches are up or both switches are down, you usually need to employ trial and error.

Old 06-06-04, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by doingitmyself
John, thanks for that link. I was just trying to visualize the common pole in the SPDT switch, and wondering if connecting the travelers in different ways would determine whether a light was on when both switches were UP vs one being UP and the other DOWN. Nothing serious, just inquisitive - I think I got it figured out

Thanks again,

-Terry
You can reverse the traveller wires on one switch to change the UP DOWN position of the switch or just turn the switch over. The common stays the same.