240V outlet work with a 120V A/C?

Old 06-07-04, 07:31 AM
240V outlet work with a 120V A/C?

I need to replace my A/C in the living room. The old unit use a 240V outlet. I notice a lot of new A/C with over 10,000 BTU uses a 120V outlet. Can I plug a 120V A/C into a 240V outlet? Are there plug adapters that will make the 120V A/C plug work with the 240V outlet? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 07:37 AM
You would be far better off to buy a 240-volt air conditioner. All other solutions are more complicated. You can plug a 120-volt A/C into a 240-volt outlet if you only need the air conditioner to last about 13 seconds before it goes up in a cloud of smoke. There is no adaptor. There are transformers, but this just drives up the cost of the solution.

Old 06-07-04, 07:39 AM
A 120 volt applicance won't have a plug that fit's into a 240 volt outlet. if you replaced the plug and made it fit you would hopefully trip the breaker. If you don;t trip the breaker you might burn out the applicance. if you don't burn out the applicance you might burn up the house. Those are in order from least dangerous to most dangerous.

if you buy a 120 volt air condictioner then you need a 120 volt curcuit. The good news is that you may be able to use the 240 volt circuit, if you rewire it. Then again you may not.

What are the power requirements for the old unit and for the new unit? Also, what is the circuit breaker size for the existing circuit, and if you know it the wire size?