Mount TV next to deck

Old 06-07-04, 09:00 AM
Suspend TV from eaves

I'm not sure this is the correct forum as it involves some carpentry, electrical work and entertainment, but here it is...

I want to pemanently hang a TV from the eaves of my house next to my deck. Any ideas on how I can do this? I thought I would build a water-proof box to house the TV and mount with a swivel to the eaves. Is anyone aware of a product that would accommodate this project?

Thanks,
William

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 10:22 AM
You can do all kinds of weatherproofing to allow it to work. But that TV is still NOT going to last very long.

Old 06-07-04, 11:33 AM
Won't last long

I was going to spend less than 100 bucks on a TV. I know it won't last very long even with only indirect exposure to the elements, but thought if I could get a couple of years (or even 1 year) out of a TV, it would be worth it.

Old 06-07-04, 01:15 PM
I still wouldn't do it, but I'm willing to talk about it anyway. If I were trying to do this:

The main adversary I can see is water/dew. Where I live (Eastern Kansas) the morning dew will cover the outside of cars, and sometimes the insides if the cars are not airtight. Then you have storms with strong winds and rain. Because of this, I would want to build an air-tight box. It would probably end up being silicon glued like a fish tank on the front, with plexi-glass or something like that. maybe something out of MDF particle board so it would be airtight.

But since its airtight, now you would have to worry about heat radiation from the TV. if it can't ventilate the heat somehow, it will overheat and probably blow some components.

So, the only thing I could think of that would work is a box that opens somehow when you want to use it. It would then be weather/air tight when you close it up. perhaps a box with removable hinges at the front bottom so the lid (on the front) comes off to reveal the front of the TV. Then have the power and cable wires enter the back of the box and seal the holes.

Mount it with an arm-mount like they use for heavy speakers... something like This

Old 06-08-04, 07:10 AM
I appreciate all you input. I posted this question/project in a couple of other forums and was directed to this link by another user...

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/ee.htm

This is exactly what I need. Looks very much like what you described.

Thanks again.

William

Old 06-08-04, 10:22 AM
Thanks for posting back with the link. It looks like exactly what you were looking for. I couldn't find the price anwhere though.

Old 06-08-04, 01:13 PM
It's quite expensive. I called the number on the site and they quoted me $1100.00+, but I found it for less here...

http://www.mountsandmore.com/prods/P...htm#additional

still expensive even with the discount. This, at least, offers some ideas to incorporate into the plan/project. I found this as well...

http://www.flatplanet.tv/source_html/outdoor.htm

I've inquired about the cost. I'll post the cost upon my receipt. The TV may be less than the "Environmental Enclosure".

Last edited by WmHeffernan; 06-08-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 06:44 AM
Actually, that $ didn't surprise me at all on the weatherproof mount. It looks like the kind of TV stand you would see at an amusement park. They probably don't sell very many to home users.

for $1100 you could hire a neighbor kid to bring it out of storage and hook it up every time you want to use it.