Ceiling fan switch causes wireless light to turn on

Old 06-08-04, 01:06 PM
RandomSF
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan switch causes wireless light to turn on

On one circuit in my house I have a 3-position ceiling fan in the bedroom and a light in the back hallway. The hallway light has a wireless remote switch. When I turn off the ceiling fan, the light turns on. I figure there is some type of radio frequency being generated.

Is there a resistor or RF filter I can add to one of the circuits to stop this?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-04, 02:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How are you turning on the ceiling fan? With a simple wall switch? With a smart wall switch that sends signals through the wiring? With a smart wall switch that sends signals through the air? With a portable wireless control?

Many times, the fan will have a changeable code you can set into both the transmitter and receiver to avoid this kind of interferrence.

Old 06-08-04, 03:03 PM
RandomSF
Visiting Guest
The ceiling fan has a wired, 3-position switch made for ceiling fans. When I turn it off, it triggers a wireless circuit that controls a porch light. The porch circuit has a wired transceiver and a wireless remote. The fan has no wireless controls.

The fan has no wireless component.

Old 06-08-04, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might see if there are any settings in the wireless porch light system that you can change, codes, frequencies, etc. It might be just sheer coincidence that the light is turning on. What do you mean that the fan has a wired three position switch. Is that on the wall or a pull chain on the fan? If it is on the wall, could the circuit be tied to the hallway light somehow??

Scott E.

Old 06-08-04, 03:43 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's not coincidence, I see it every day. Those switches broadcast so much crap they should be regulated by the FCC. I've never found a decent solution except to use a straight single pole switch and control the fan speed at the fan itself, not possible in many situations. Or switch to a MUCH more expensive light control that has a higher rejection. Not very good options but it's all I got. If somebody knows of a better quality switch for the fan then lets here it, I'll buy a box of them.

Old 06-08-04, 03:57 PM
RandomSF
Visiting Guest
Thanks speedy72. Although that's what I was afraid someone would say. I still wish there was a RF clamp I could put in series on the switch, but I may just live with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: