Ceiling Fan to replace Lamp

Old 06-09-04, 02:05 AM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan to replace Lamp

My gf wants me to replace an exiting ceiling light with a fan above our bed. The receptacle box in the ceiling is steel, but I have no way of knowing its installation method: nailed to the joist, box brace between the joists, etc.

This is an apartment building, and I have no access above the ceiling (no attic, for expample). How do I determine whether or not the current receptacle box is strong enough for the weight of a fan?

I don't want it to fall on us when we're sleeping!

Thanks,
-Terry

Old 06-09-04, 05:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generally speaking, in an apartment you can't do this type of work, it must be done by a qualified electrician.

While I might change a light in an apartment, I certainly wouldn't do anything as involved as installing a fan or changing a junction box.

Old 06-09-04, 07:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you install a light-weight fan, you're probably fine, especially if the fan is above the foot of the bed rather than the head of the bed.

Old 06-28-04, 10:30 PM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
If you install a light-weight fan, you're probably fine, especially if the fan is above the foot of the bed rather than the head of the bed.
John,

How light-weight? I was thinking there might be some type of measuring device which would give the strength of the box. I was thinking there was, maybe not?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: