burned wire in sub panel

Old 06-10-04, 01:55 PM
jhrodd
Visiting Guest
burned wire in sub panel

My house panel (100 amps) is fed from a 200 amp panel in the shop about 200 feet away. This was added about 25 years ago. I just checked to see if it was grounded properly and the neutrals and grounds are not seperated. Most disturbing one of the neutral wires on a 15 amp circuit supplying lighting to the kitchen and porch (12 outlets) is badly burned for about 2 inches from the buss bar. It does not appear to be loose and all of the other wires look fine except the ground from that circuit has some corrosion where it is in close proximity to the buned wire. What have I got going on here? and what should I do about it? Any advice appreciated. Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-04, 02:41 PM
When you say that it does not "appear" to be loose, was this just a visual inspection, or did you try to tighten it? Is there just one wire under one screw on the neutral bar? But I agree, burnt wires are never good. Any chance this is a shared-neutral circuit that has both hots on the same leg?

Just because the neutral and grounding are not separated does not by itself indicate a problem. Other conditions would have to be checked too.

Old 06-10-04, 03:48 PM
jhrodd
Visiting Guest
John, Thanks for the reply. On further examination the neutral was loose. There are three wires on the same terminal, the screw was tight but this wire was loose and had deteriorated to almost nothing inside the terminal.

Old 06-10-04, 05:20 PM
Of course, that's why we are limited to one neutral wire under one screw in the panel. The next time somebody asks why that limitation exists, we can just point them to this thread.

You might consider remedying this code violation.

Old 06-11-04, 08:05 PM
After you examined it I hope you cut back the melted neutral a few inches & reconnected it to the bar.

Old 06-12-04, 09:04 AM
jhrodd
Visiting Guest
Yes I did. I'm planning to add another neutral bar and get rid of the multiple wire on one terminal situation. Thanks