220 stove outlet question

Old 06-11-04, 11:15 AM
220 stove outlet question

getting ready to install a new stove

when I removed the old one it was hardwired and I failed to notice which colors where connected to what

the cable that comes out of the wall has two conductors both are black

how do I tell which is which ?

I whought I would use my meter and go to ground with each and see which one is hot

is there another or better way ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 11:22 AM
If you have a 240 volt stove in North America, then both conductors are hot. However, there should also be at least a ground conductor, usually bare.

I don't believe that you can safely hook up your new stove unless you have at least three conductors, two hots and a ground.

Are you not telling us the whole story?

Old 06-11-04, 11:48 AM
bob

I know which one the ground is ( im assuming it is the one with no insalation right?)

my question was just on the other two

so your saying it dosnt matter which of the two black leads goes to which plug on the stove

is that correct ?

its a 35 year old house and the cable is aluminum should I be thinking about replacing it with copper down the road ?

thanks

Old 06-11-04, 11:59 AM
In a 240 volt installation both hot wires are 120 volts. They are from opposite legs of the incoming power, and together they make 240 volts. Both legs are the same as far as it relates to your stove.

If you are going to replace the line to the panel, now would the time to do so, while you have everything apart and while you are connecting the new stove. You will replace the three conductor cable with four conductor cable. Your stove will have different installation instructions for three wire and four wire installations. It should also have instructions on how to deal with aluminum wire.