Water weel pump from generator?

Old 06-13-04, 06:10 PM
Water well pump from generator?

I need to run my water well pump from my generator. Right now I run it through one of those GenTran switchs. We had a storm that knocked power out last Wed. We been running from genny since then. Electrician is coming tomorrow hopefully to fix everything. In the event they don't get it done I may need to run my well pump from the genny in case the GenTran is disconected. Now my problem how do I hook the pump up directly to the genny. Well pump is 220 volt 2 wire plus ground. Wiring to the pump is 14 ga 15 amp circuit. On the genny side the only 220 volt plug is 30amp. It has 4 connectors. So I figure that I would use on three of the connectors the two 110 volt legs & the ground and leave the forth on empty. Is this right? Which ones are the 110 volt legs? Thanks in advance for your help....Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-04, 04:40 AM
The generator came with a wiring diagram that answers your question. You can also find the information on the internet or with a voltmeter.

However, most generators used for home use are not powerful enough to power a well pump. I suspect that you may have trouble generating the current required to start your pump.

Old 06-14-04, 04:00 PM
Turns out I didn't need to hook up like this. The electrician finishe the jod today & the power co. came and turned things back on. This genny will run my well pump though. I forget what the rating wass on the pump but the genny is 5500 watts with 6750 surge. Runs well pump fine.

Old 06-14-04, 06:03 PM
Then you have a small well pump. Pumps have a very high startup current, and a generator that size won't power any but the smallest pumps.

Old 06-14-04, 06:54 PM
Yeah its 1/2 hp 230 volts 5 amps. Well is only 70' deep

Lets see volts X amps = watts

1150 watts so double or even triple for start up surge still within genny limits