GFCI's

Old 06-14-04, 03:29 AM
GFCI's

How much current unbalance (between hot and neutral) will trip a GFCI?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-04, 06:38 AM
For most GFCI receptacles and breakers on the market today, 5mA (officially specified as 4 to 6 mA).

Old 06-14-04, 07:06 AM
GFCI's

I have a GFCI recpt. on my front porch, I ran a wire up through the attic to my back porch...probably 50 or 60 ft. I connected my back porch recpt. to the "load" terminals on the front GFCI...which is suppose to make the back recpt. "GFCI protected". The front GFCI keeps tripping instantaneously...with the back recpt. unused. I have swapped out the front GFCI several times with the same results. I finally wired the back recpt. to the line terminals on the front GFCI. Everything works fine. I am just going to install a GFCI on the back porch. What my question was, is it possible, with this long piece of wire is there enough capacitance between the netural conductor and the ground conductor or hot conductor and ground conductor to cause this to happen?

Old 06-14-04, 09:13 AM
The cause of your problem is a ground fault. I wouldn't use the wire you installed if it causes a GFCI receptacle to trip. Find and fix the problem.

Old 06-14-04, 11:37 AM
Is this back porch receptacle the only thing on the load side of the front receptacle, or are there other things also on the load side of the front receptacle?

Old 06-14-04, 03:31 PM
GFCI's

John, There is no load of any kind either on the front porch or the back porch. I have installed a GFCI recept. in both locations...everything seems to be working properly. I've retired from the local power company...I worked in the power transformer test department. Whenever we would run the load tap changers we would have to bypass the GFCI recepts. These would trip instantaneously when plugged in (prior to running). I never did find out exactly what was causeing this.

Old 06-14-04, 07:04 PM
You misunderstood my question. I meant to ask if there are any other wires connected to the load side of the front porch receptacle, or if the wires that go to the back porch receptacle go anywhere else.

If the front porch receptacle is more than two years old, replace it. You did say that you swapped it, but I want to make sure you swapped it with a brand new one fresh from the store.

It sounds like you probably damaged the cable while you ran it. Did you treat is gingerly, or did you pull it hard or step on it or run it through anything that might have damaged it? Did you drive the staples too hard? Expose it to any chemicals?