Odd GFCI Question

Old 06-15-04, 01:54 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Odd GFCI Question

Before taking down my bathroom light bar I thought I could turn off the power by pressing the test button. Pressed the test button on the GFCI...lights went out...radio shut off...good to go. When I touched the plastic wire connector on the hot wire (black) I felt a tingle. Turned off the breaker like I should have done in the first place, no more tingle.

Question: why was there juice to the hot wire when the lights went out and the radio shut off after pushing the test button?

Only wires coming out of the wall for the light bar were one black, one white and ground.

Don't understand this one.

Thanks

Old 06-15-04, 05:23 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I can point out that you did a dumb thing, which you already admitted.

I'll say this for the benefiot of others, always turn the power off at the circuit breaker panel or fuse box when working on a circuit.

Old 06-15-04, 07:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just because there is no longer power feeding the light does not mean that there are no hot wires in the box. Often times a junction box at a light is used for more than just feeding power to the light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: