Can't reset circuit breaker

Old 06-15-04, 05:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't reset circuit breaker

A circuit to our kitchen which includes our refrigerator just switched off; when we tried to reset it by turning it off then on again the switch just sits in the middle position, and refuses to move fully off or on so I fear it's broken. We've never had this happen and hope it can be repaired. We were able to extend the plug to the refrigerator to another outlet but quite a few outlets in the kitchen won't work. Any advice? We just moved into this house (25 years old).

Old 06-15-04, 05:54 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the breaker has been switched on and off many times, it may indeed have broken. But you also may have a problem on the circuit. Start by unplugging everything on the circuit and see if you can then reset the breaker.

Old 06-15-04, 08:46 PM
A
can't reset circuit breaker

I did unplug everything and still could not reset the breaker; it seems to just hang halfway between on & off and seems loose. Since the seller gave us buyer's insurance for the first year, I called them and am waiting for a callback; just hope they send a qualified electrician.

Old 06-16-04, 06:14 PM
A

Well a very nice electrician came and just pushed very hard on the breaker and it clicked into place! I feel so stupid. He said he hates the panel we have, said it was a Zeisco or something like that and if it happened again it'd come out w/o charge!

Old 06-17-04, 05:40 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, I didn't get here in time to respond for you, but on most breakers you have to flip it all the way to "off", before you can flip back to "on". You probably already tried that though.

But, hopefully it will help anyone who searches this thread with your same problem. If he's telling you he's going to replace your panel for free, you should start overloading that breaker again. Then of course we need to find that guy that's passing out $20 bills.

Old 06-17-04, 12:56 PM
A

I wish--no he said he'd come back and replace that one circuit breaker not the entire panel! He really pushed very very hard on the breaker to move it to the off position then back to the on position. Now it works as it should, pushes positively into either position. But if anyone else is reading this, and has the same problem, they should not hesitate to push hard. One thing he also did was take the cover off the panel and maybe that was the trick, something on the cover was stopping the breaker--just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: