Get lights working before drywall?

Old 06-17-04, 06:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Get lights working before drywall?

My electrical work on a basement has passed city inspection. I plan to get the walls drywalled soon. I've got about 20 can lights and want to know if it's smart to put in bulbs and, more importantly switches, before the drywallers show up. That way I can test everything and provide some light to them while they work. Should I wait until after the drywall is done instead to do that? Thoughts?

Old 06-17-04, 08:06 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
You don't want to do your "finish" electrical until after the drywallers. Things you do want do:

If you really want to test all your connections, pull all your wires so they are hanging out of the boxes, CAREFULLY hookup a switch, turn it on and verify that the feed in the first box in any run is hot with a non-contact voltage sensor. This is not something to do unless you are comfortable with it. Afterwards, remove the switch and tuck the wires in as listed below. Obviously, make sure the breaker is killed during your work and until the finish/trim electrical is complete.

1. Take pictures of all your rough-in work before the sheetrock goes in. That way you have a visual record of where all your wiring is.

2. Stuff newspaper into every can so that when they spray the ceiling you don't get popcorn in the cans.

3. Tuck all your wiring in the normal switch and receptacle boxes way into the back of the box. That way the rotozip won't hit your wires.

4. Mark the location of each box clearly on a plan so you know where to find it. I had a box covered over by the sheetrockers and had to make them come back to cut it through and redo some taping.

Rob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: