String Batteries Together

Old 06-17-04, 01:43 PM
orangehairedboy
Visiting Guest
String Batteries Together

I'm posting here for some advice because I don't know anyone who could help with this!

I just bought a wireless battery-operated camera which uses a 9V battery and lasts for about 4 hours. I'd really like to rig it to work for 8 hours or 12 hours by using 2 or 3 batteries stung together.

The camera has "50mW-A / 8V" on the back. I know I cant just connect them all or I'll fry the camera. What do I need to do to regulate the power so I can get a long-lasting camera?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-04, 02:12 PM
Yes, you can string the batteries together. Connect them in parallel and you will be fine.

The other option, which would be easier and cheaper, would be to use an adapter that converts AC to DC.

Old 06-17-04, 04:41 PM
orangehairedboy
Visiting Guest
Connecting them in parellel means that all the positives are connected with the same wire and likewise with all the negatives, right?

This would produce a different effect that stringing a positive to a negative all the way down the line, right?

Old 06-17-04, 05:18 PM
Connecting them in parallel means that all the positives are connected together, and all the negatives are connected together. When you connect them in parallel the voltage remains the same, but you can supply more current.

Connecting them in series is when you connect them end to end, with the positve of the first goiing to the negative of the second, the positive of the second going to the negative of the thirs, etc. In this manner you add up the voltage, 9 times the number of batteries. However, the current idoes not change.

Most toys that use multiple batteries use them in series. For example, the flashlight that takes 2 "D" size batteries uses them in series, requiring a 3 volt bulb.