Old wiring being replaced

Old 06-17-04, 07:33 PM
John Doh
Visiting Guest
Old wiring being replaced

I have a problem that concerns this old house I'm in. I went to replace the outside front porch light but noticed the wiring going into the house and lightswitch is old wires. Its using the old 1 wire type with a ceramic "holder?" keeping it off the sides of the walls. How do I find out which wire is the "hot" one? It would seem most of the house is like this ( the kitchen has the same wiring left in for the lighting) but from the basement it looks to be all newer wiring....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-04, 08:38 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
You can use an inductive "tic" tester. These are available from Home Depot or your local hardware store. Seperate the wires a few inches from one another and simply touch the wire with the end of the tester and a light will come on if it is the hot wire....RL

Old 06-18-04, 08:07 AM
The voltage tick tester is available at all home centers, usually costs less than $15, and is easy and fun to use.

Old 06-18-04, 10:55 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why is it called a "tick tester"? I've been using one for years and I love it, but always wondered about the name.

Old 06-18-04, 11:12 AM
Because it makes a tic sound when you find the hot wire. At least some of the models do.

Old 06-19-04, 06:09 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.
Mine just lights up red at the probe end. Guess the ticker doesn't work anymore.