Making the connections

Old 06-17-04, 09:12 PM
Exclamation Making the connections

Okay, now a question that you genuine electricians have probably been expecting from me; What is the accepted way to fasten my #3 CU THWN stranded wire to the smaller connections on the neutral buss bar? If I had a junk panel to salvage from, I would think the luggs on the "supply" side would do. I don't have an assortment of connectors to dig through, nor the high-dollar crimpers I've seen lineman using. A trip to Ace Hardware provided a possible but "sold out" solution, and the clerk knew less about what I needed that I did. If I need to go to an electrical supply house, I would like to know the correct nomenclature for the items that I need
Thanks for your attempts to educate me...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 04:38 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by HD_RIDER

What is the accepted way to fasten my #3 CU THWN stranded wire to the smaller connections on the neutral buss bar? If I had a junk panel to salvage from, I would think the luggs on the "supply" side would do.
The "neutral" (properly called the "grounded") buss bar should have a terminal lug that's the same size as the phase/hot lugs, at least the subpanels I've put in have all had one. Are you saying that your panelboard has no "large" terminal lug? If it doesn't, SqD and GE (2 common brands at the local big box) both make add-on terminals for the panels.

What kind of panel do you have?

Old 06-18-04, 07:34 AM
Sorry that I wasn't more specific... both the sub panel (that I am installing,) and the main breaker panel are Siemans. The sub panel, of course, has the larger luggs to connect the feed to, but my problem is in connecting to the respective points in the main panel. The #3 wire just fits into the clamps on the breakers, but equipment ground and the neutral buss bar lack connection points for the larger wires. I don't want to just "cobble" a connection, as eventually this must pass the inspectors scrutiny.

Old 06-18-04, 08:36 AM
You can buy a neutral lug to add to your main panel neutral bar. Check at your home center or electrical supply house.

Old 06-18-04, 09:34 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
For the grounding connection, you can buy an add-on lug too. It'll have (2) tabs or feet that fit into the holes on a standard grounding terminal strip and therefore allows you to run the larger gauge conductor.

FYI, for a 100 amp circuit, you only need to run a #8 EGC and that may fit in the standard EGC bar's large holes. Look at section/table 250-122 in the NEC (same article # for '99 and '02) if you want to verify the conductor sizing.