Mounting ceiling fan to outlet box with U-bolts

Old 06-18-04, 08:20 PM
sputnik
Visiting Guest
Mounting ceiling fan to outlet box with U-bolts

Hi: Question from a newbie ....

Trying to mount a ceiling fan in downstairs family room, using an outlet box that comes with metal bar and U-bolt to connect to joists.
The U-bolt goes through 2 holes at the top of outlet box and then connected to 2 extension nuts. What is supposed to be connected to the other end of the extension nuts? The fan mounting bracket screws or something else?

From the position of the bracket screw threads, I could not connect to the externsion nuts. Instead I connected to two threaded holes at the two top corners of the outlet box ........

Am I doing the right thing? Not sure if the bracket can hold the load of the motor assembly - it seems the extension nuts are a sturdier choice, but the location doesn't allow connecting the ext. nuts to the bracket.

Thanks for your suggestions etc...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 07:16 AM
The "U" part of the U-bolt goes over the rod. The nuts are then installed inside the box and hold the box to the rod. Then the fan is mounted to the box.

Old 06-19-04, 07:45 AM
"Extension Nut"--???????

If you want to over-engineer this installation,and if the U-bolt is designed with 1/4" threads, then thread two 1/4" rod-couplings onto the exposed threads under the nuts that secure the box.

Next is two 1/4" machine-screws with a lenth that spans the dimension from the fan bar/bracket/plate to a depth inside the rod-couplings.
Allow for washers under the heads of the machine-screws. Best if you use 1/4" "fender washers".

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!1