Hard Wire

Old 06-20-04, 04:57 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
Question Hard Wire

I want to hard wire a pool pump. Can I just cut the plug off and then wire, or do I have to get a different wire, remove the old cord/plug, and then wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 06:34 AM
What exactly do you mean by hard wire, and what do you have existing right now. Is this an extension cord to the pool now?

Old 06-21-04, 12:55 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
Wire Pool Pump

Yes, currently there is an extension cord to the pump. There is power by the pump where a previous pump was wired directly to the "outlet." The outlet just has an off/on switch. My pump has a cord w/plug and the specifics about the pump say it can hard wired as opposed to using the plug.

Old 06-23-04, 07:01 AM
If indeed the specs state that the pump can be hard wired, you can do so. You can't however, cut off the plug and use the existing wire.

Is this just a 110V pump? (They're usually 220V)

Your local code code may vary, but I would:
Remove the old cord to the pump motor;
Use flex conduit from the pump motor to the switch;
Run lengths of THWN and a ground thru the conduit.

Old 06-23-04, 07:16 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
I'm so glad you said something because I was about to cut the plug off. It is a 110V pump. The power source is right by the pump - I don't need to burry it do I? Does the THWN wire already have a ground wire in it? The ground wire for the power source is attached to the switch which is attached to the box. The power comes up through the ground through PVC and the box is attached to the PVC. There is also a metal stake in the ground(the actual ground) which is srewed into the housing that contains the switch and the power. Is that sufficient for grounding if I take the grounding wire from the THWN and ground it to the screw on the switch?

Old 06-23-04, 07:30 PM
A metal stake in the ground is not sufficient for the ground. The ground must go all the way back to the panel. Also, at least while outside the house, it must be an insulated ground, it cannot be a bare wire.

How many individual conductors feed the old conection? if there are three and they are all insulated then you can use them for the pump. However, you must install an outlet. The outlet must have an in use cover, and if within ten feet of the pool the plus connection be a twist lock type connection.

There are also other rules that msut be followed. This is not something to just hook up. Electricity and water don't mix well. This is no time to guess. You could kill someone with an incorrect setup.

Old 06-23-04, 08:16 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
There are 3 wires going to the box - they are each insullated. The power was originally used for a pool pump and the pool and the pump are within a few feet of the box. The box is for wet locations and all of that, but I am wondering if is was originally put in too close to the pool. So the housing where the electricity and pump wires connect should be atleast 10 feet away from the pool? I am thinking I probably should just hire an electrician! I really don't want to mess this up. Is there some type of publication I can read which would tell me exactly what I should do?

Old 06-24-04, 05:38 AM
Current code requirements dictate that the receptacle outlet for the pump must be at least five feet from the pool. If this receptacle outlet is bwtween five and ten feet from the pool then the plug and receptacle must be the twist lock type. If this receptacle outlet is at least ten feet from the pool then the plug and receptacle can be the straight blade type.

What sort of plug is on the end of the cord?

Old 06-24-04, 09:09 AM
I do not believe requirements for positioning a receptacle are not relevant here. The intent is to _hard wire_ the motor. According to Amanda, the manual for the pump permits hard wiring, so the questions are: what are the requirements and limits for the hard wiring.

I would need to review the appropriate code section prior to answering with certainty, but I believe that the following would be required:

1) A flexible conduit from a junction box near the pump motor to the pump motor.

2) Wet rated conductors (THWN or dual rated THHN/THWN)

3) An insulated ground conductor in the conduit.

4) A proper equipment ground conductor which goes back to the panel (bonded and spliced as needed just like any normal equipment ground conductor)

5) A local ' supplementary grounding electrode', bonded to the motor frame...this clearly is not sufficient to provide a fault current clearance path, but probably serves to limit local potential differences during a fault.

6) A 'disconnect' which permits positively turning off the motor. The switch that Amanda described is probably suitable for this.

Like I said, I would need to review this code section to be certain, but I believe that the above describes Amanda's old installation and describes how the new installation should be made.

-Jon

Old 06-24-04, 06:30 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
Thank You all for your advice and knowledge. The plug is a normal 110 3 prong, but I don't want it. I want to wire it straight to power and there is an on/off switch on the housing area where all of the wires meet.

Old 06-24-04, 08:33 PM
I did a very quick review, and I want to revise point 5. A supplementary grounding electrode is not required. However all metal in the pool, including things like the rebar in the walls of an in-ground pool, and any motors, is supposed to be _bonded_ together. This means a wire from the metal frame of the pool to the frame of the motor. This bonding conductor should be 8 ga copper.

-Jon