Combo surface and wall wiring

Old 06-21-04, 01:43 PM
bradlam
Visiting Guest
Question Combo surface and wall wiring

I am remodeling my bathroom and the new cabinets will cover the current (only) GFCI outlet. It needs to be moved over about 3 feet. I don't want to have to open the walls and chisel space out of the studs. I thought that I could run the wire from the current outlet down inside the walls to below the cabinets, then out of the wall and run the 3 feet with a surface raceway (the cabinets are on legs, so there is space under them), then back in the wall and up to where the new outlet will be. I don't have a problem with this aesthetically since the raceway will be completely concealed under the cabinets. Does anyone see any problems with this type of installation? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 02:22 PM
My advice--don't go for a goofy solution. Rip off the drywall, drill the studs, and replace the drywall. It's not that hard. The cabinets will probably cover the drywall anyway. Remember that all splices must be made in permanently accessible junction boxes, so don't bury the connections behind the wall.

Old 06-21-04, 03:27 PM
You can't cover the old box if there is a splice in it. Find the other end of the cable and run your new wire from there. You could run up to the attic or down to the basement and back up into the new stud cavity.