need advice on upgrading electrical service

Old 06-22-04, 02:13 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question need advice on upgrading electrical service

My home has approx 1800 sq ft on main floor living. I also have a mostly finished basement. My breaker box is a Federal Pacific (probably original from 1968) and it is full. The box states that it has 125 amps max. I am looking to upgrade the service to 200 and replace the box. I am hiring an electrical contractor to do this work and maybe add some GFCI outlets in my baths and whatever else I can afford off my electrical wishlist. Any advice?

Old 06-22-04, 02:30 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you need 200 amps? If you don't need 200 amps, and if the cost of replacing the entrance wire is expensive then yu might consider not upgrading to 200 amps right now. You can always buy a box that will accomodate 200 amps now so that you are ready if need be. If you need 200 amps, or you want to spend the money now, then do it, buit if money is tight and you don't absolutely need 200 amps then consider putting that portion of the upgrade off until a later date, if it adds quite a bit to the expense.

You may consider doing some of the work yourself, to save money. Things like putting in GFCI receptacle outlets are pretty straight forward and can be done by a homeowner. It's a bit tougher to run new wire and add new circuits, but that too can be done if the homeowner feels up to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: