Voltage Change

Old 06-25-04, 07:35 AM
mattydies
Visiting Guest
Voltage Change

Hey,, I just found this site,, seemed like a good idea for me to sign up. So I did.

Anyway I bought an Air Compressor for my garage and it needs to be hard wired to 220 Volts. I only have 120 Volt Outlets in my garage. I am sure my house can supply the power for it, since I have 2 - 200 amp imputs to the house or what ever they are called.

How can I install this Air Compressor? What do I need to do in order to have a set of wire putting out 220 Volts?

Any replies / opinions / information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance...

Matty

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-04, 07:51 AM
You need to run 220 volts to the garage and set up the connection to the compressor.

Without more information from you we cannot tell you much more.

Is the garage attached or detached? How far is the garage from the main electrical panel? Is there a subpanel already in the garage? Answer those questions and we can go from there.

Old 06-25-04, 12:43 PM
mattydies
Visiting Guest
The garage is detached,, it is about 15 - 20 yards away from the house,, its a 3 car garage,, there is a sub pannel there. My house has 2 - 200 amp set ups. ( not sure what they are called)

Old 06-25-04, 01:10 PM
Tell us more about the sub panel in the garage. What does it look like? WHats in it?

Old 06-25-04, 01:43 PM
Most likely if you already have a subpanel in the garage, you can simply install a double-pole breaker of the size recommended by the compressor manufacturer, run a x/2 cable to match the breaker size, and install the appropriate receptacle.

Have you wired new circuits before?

Old 06-25-04, 03:20 PM
mattydies
Visiting Guest
I have not wired new circuits before, but I do have a fair bit of electronic experience with cars and custom installs of LCD screens,, , custom wiring of all kinds,, including dropping and raising voltages and impedances, etc. etc.

is it possible for me to post a digital picture of my sub pannel??

Old 06-25-04, 06:14 PM
Go to your local public library or home center. Get three books on home wiring. You will find information about installing a new circuit, but most of the information will be about 120-volt circuits. A 240-volt circuit is a little different, but it is more similar than different.

Post the electrical specs on your compressor if you can find them. And tell us what the plug looks like. We don't need to see your panel. Just post the name of the manufacturer and the model number of the panel.

Old 06-25-04, 10:47 PM
mattydies
Visiting Guest
there is no plug,, It was hard wired in before I bought it.

As for the Sub Pannel it is a Sylvania,, I will have to go and check the Model Number tommorow morning,, I believe it is good for 120 / 240 volt. It has 4 spaces. the middle two are currently occupied for the normal power to the garage. The Compressor needs to be hooked up to a 30 amp breaker I was told by the previous owner,

the only 30 amp breaker (or atleast I believe it is a 30 amp breaker) that would fit my sub pannel is double wide and says 30 on each switch. I already bought this and found out hte price was alot more then I had expected ($48 Canadian) I do live in a small town. I was hoping to find a 30 amp breaker that would only ocupy a single space.

I will check on the model of the Syvania Sub Pannel sometime today,, I have alot to do and need sleep first.

That library thing ios a good idea, it is a small town but I would still imagine we would have something of that sort. plus I enjoy learning about things I find interesting and all teh better if it may become usefull knowledge @ somepoint.

Thanks again

Old 06-26-04, 02:22 AM
In order to get 240 volts, two spaces need to be occupied in the panel. A single space can only supply 120 volts.

Make sure that the breaker is designed for the panel, and make sure that it is not a GFCI breaker. A GFCI breaker would nuisance trip.

Old 06-27-04, 01:07 PM
mattydies
Visiting Guest
Sub Pannell Model

The Sub Panell is a Sylvania B460 I believe,, I should have wrote it down,,

it has 4 slots rated 60 amps,., I will have to double check and write back.