New Woodshop - Power Requirements?

Old 06-26-04, 04:20 PM
Al_R
Visiting Guest
Question New Woodshop - Power Requirements?

I have a new 22' x 36' woodshop under construction and I'd really like any suggestions you may have as to adding power too it. The shop will be attached to the house and there is a window in my laundry room that will soon be looking into the shop and the laundry room happens to be where the house's 200 amp panel is. The existing panel is completely filled and I'm planning on running a sub-panel into the shop. With the exception of changing out a switch or 110 outlets I've never done any electrical work. I'm planning on having an electrician do the work, but I don't even know what I really need. I've been told I should be able to run the shop on a 50 amp service and some say 100 amps. I'll be running a 3 HP 220v DC system anytime one of my tools are running, an air compressor that will come on/off when it needs too and a two HP lathe, cabinet saw, drill press, band saw etc. Of course as I normally work alone I'll normally only have one of them running at a time in addition the DC and air compressor. Of course I'll have lights and a fan or two also going.

I'd like to run the wires and install the outlets myself and then have an electrician make the connections at the sub panel. What type of wire do I need for 220v?

Any and all suggestions as to what I should be asking fro would be greatly appreciated!

Al

Last edited by Al_R; 06-26-04 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-04, 05:59 PM
A 60-amp subpanel on 6/3 cable is adequate for most one-man shops that do not include a large welder. But over a short distance, a 100-amp subpanel on #2 or #3 may not cost much more.

Old 06-29-04, 12:48 PM
Al_R
Visiting Guest
Question Change to the Change

Well now they're going to have to move the house's power pole as the hip roof coming off the new shop does something that the local code won't allow. Talked to the electrician and when he found out I want a sub panel in the shop he suggested moving the pole to the new attached shop and then running power back to the house from there. It sounds good to me, anyone see a problem I don't?

Thanks, Al