Adding a light to a circuit with a Bath fan/light combo

Old 06-29-04, 08:57 AM
mikhu
Visiting Guest
Question Adding a light to a circuit with a Bath fan/light combo

Hi all,

I currently have a circuit in a bathroom that looks like this:

Power > Fan/light combo > double switch combo (one switch for light and one for fan both in single box)

This is currently wired with 14/3 with ground so I can control the fan and light separately.

If I want to add a light in the circuit like this:

Power > fan/light combo > light > switch

that is switched along with the light on the fan/light combo unit, do I need to add ANOTHER 14/3 wire between the light box and the fan/light unit to create another parallel leg? Or is there some way to wire it with the existing 14/3 wire that I already have running through the box for the new light?

Does this make sense? Please help clear up my confusion!

Thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-04, 09:14 AM
mgb
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the 14/3 that goes to the fan/light combo travels through the box that you are wiring your new light to? If so, then connect the new light to the bare, white, and red or black depending on which one controls the light in the combo. If this isn't what you meant then all you need to do is run a 14/2 wire from either the switchbox(probably not a good idea as there's probably too many wires in it) or the fan/light combo to your new light. I hope I haven't confused you!

Old 06-29-04, 09:38 AM
mikhu
Visiting Guest
Yes, I pulled the wire back from the fan/light and ran it to the new box and then ran a new wire from the new box to the fan/light and wired it up just like the original wire was. I did this as I was framing in a new wall that the new light mounts on so I just connected the wires in the new box together as though there wasn't a break at that location so I could still use the fan/light combo while doing things like hanging sheetrock and other stuff.

Now I went to install the new light and wired it just like you suggested, white to the existing white connection, black to the existing black connection, and ground to ground. I left the original red connection alone since it switches the fan. After wiring it like that the circuit acted like it was in series. The new light was fairly bright and the light on the combo unit turned on but was very dim.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 06-29-04, 11:04 AM
mgb
Are you sure the feed goes to the switch or does it go to the fan/light combo?

Old 06-29-04, 11:20 AM
mikhu
Visiting Guest
Actually the feed goes through the fan/light combo and then over to the switch. The switch is at the end of the line.

Old 06-29-04, 11:33 AM
mgb
That's what I thought. Disconnect the new light and reconnect the 14/3 the way it was. You'll need to run a 14/2 from the fan/light combo to the new light. Make sure you connect the white wire of the 14/2 to the white wire of the 14/2 feed in the fan/light j-box. Then connect the black wire of the new 14/2 to the black wire of the 14/3 in the fan/light j-box. And of course don't forget to connect the grounds. The white wire in the 14/3 is hot, not a neutral. It should have been identified as such by a piece of black tape. It's called a switch loop. You should be all set now.

Old 06-29-04, 11:55 AM
mikhu
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great input, I really appreciate it! I'll hook it up just like you said. I suspected I was missing a wire in there and was putting it in some sort of series circuit.

Old 06-29-04, 12:00 PM
mgb
You're welcome. Glad I could help.