feeder wire for woodshop

Old 06-29-04, 11:54 AM
kcmere
Visiting Guest
feeder wire for woodshop

I recently built a small woodworking shop approximately 50 feet form my home. I buried conduit from the house to the shop and I am now trying to figure out what size feeder wire I should run from my main panel to the subpanel in the shop (125A, 8 slot). Ideally I would like to be able to have three circuits as follows:

15A for lights
20A for table saw
20A for other power tools.

Originally I had planned on using 10-3 UF wire however i have now realized that it is most likely not enough. Could I run the above listed circuits on a #8 wire or do I need to go to #6? Also are there any other considerations that I must use by going to a larger guage wire for code? Is there any chance of using the 10-3 wire since I have already bought it or is it just too small?

Thank you, Kara

Last edited by kcmere; 06-29-04 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-04, 12:13 PM
mgb
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Providing your conduit is large enough I would run #6 copper on a 2 pole 60 amp breaker. That way you'll have some room for expansion. You'll need 4 wires and be sure to install a ground bar and don't bond the neutral bar to the new panel.

Old 06-29-04, 12:15 PM
kcmere
Visiting Guest
The conduit is 1.5". Would that be big enough?

Old 06-29-04, 12:21 PM
mgb
Yes. Plenty of room.

Old 06-29-04, 12:55 PM
kcmere
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. When running the 6-3UF w/ground from where it enters the house to the box (approximately 15 feet) do i need to run it through conduit? and if so is PVC acceptable?

Old 06-29-04, 01:04 PM
You can run 6/3 UF if you want, but since you already ran the conduit, life will be easier if you run #6 THWN instead.

Whether or not you need conduit to the panel depends on local code and whether or not the cable would be subject to physical damage. It must be evaluated case-by-case.

But if conduit is required, PVC is good.

Old 06-29-04, 01:10 PM
mgb
I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant individual conductors, which you would need to run conduit from panel to panel. Yes PVC is acceptable in this case. If you plan to run 6/3 uf you can only use the conduit as a "chase", meaning you wouldn't connect either end to a panel. You simply stop the conduit short of the panels and install the cable into the panels with a romex connector of the correct size for the uf. I hope I have explained it well enough .

Old 06-29-04, 01:30 PM
kcmere
Visiting Guest
Pardon my naivety but are romex and thwn the same thing? From what I understand people are saying I should not use UF wire (because I already have a buried conduit) and should instead use romex because it will be easier to deal with and cheaper.

Old 06-29-04, 01:39 PM
mgb
No they're not. And you can't run romex underground in conduit, moisture will get in it. Like John said, you'd be better off with THWN which are single conductors. And personally I'd run the conduit to the panels, among being safer it looks better too. If you get THWN and they're all the same color be sure to identify each end of the neutral(white tape) and ground(green tape) wires.