New out building


Old 06-29-04, 12:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation New out building wireing

I have a new out building/shop that I need to run power to. The building is approx. 100 ft from my panel. I need enough power for lights and a power tool from time to time also keeping in mind future needs. My main panel is a 200 amp Square D home line that has plenty of room. Need Help !

Last edited by outbldg; 06-29-04 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-04, 12:37 PM
scott e.'s Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 412
I think that I can gleen a question in there somewhere. I think that you are asking for advice on what type of power to run to your building. At a minimum, I would put at least a 60A sub panel in the building. This could be even larger, depending on the types of loads you intend to use. (i.e. welders, big power tools, etc.)
Old 06-29-04, 12:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Yes I did omit the questions. In addition to the 60 amps that you recomended what about breaker size, wire size, conduit size or direct burial, and can this be done on a budget

Last edited by outbldg; 06-29-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-29-04, 02:07 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
There are several factors to consider:
  • How many square feet is the outbuilding?
  • Will the outbuilding ever require air conditioning or heat?
  • Will you ever use a kiln or large welder there?
  • What about a refrigerator or freezer?
  • Garage door opener?
  • Will any part of it ever be made into livable space?
A 60-amp subpanel can be done with 6/3 UF-B cable direct buried (i.e., no conduit) off a 60-amp breaker.

The bulk of the effort is the digging. So if you want to save money and you have a strong back, that's a good place to start. You can save more money doing the interior wiring of the outbuilding yourself. Then maybe you could just hire out the connections at both panels, and the grounding rod. If you have technical skills and are willing to study up, you could do the whole job yourself.

But don't skimp on the permit. Get a permit and have the work inspected.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes