Outside Spotlight Wiring...??

Old 07-02-04, 02:54 PM
sandog
Visiting Guest
Outside Spotlight Wiring...??

I just bought a new house. I move in on Monday.
The guy who had the house before me put up two spotlights in the backyard against the fence that point into the pool.
Right now they are connected with extensions cords. I want to use a light switch and have then them wired.
There is already a spotlight connected to the house so i could probaably just split the wire from there...i think???
Can i do that or should it be on a separate circuit. What gauge electrical wire should be used?? Does it need to be run through conduit, and how far underground.
I don't have much experience with electrical work so any advice would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 07-02-04, 04:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Usually it's no problem to add a couple of lights to an existing circuit. Of course, that depends on whether they are 65-watt bulbs or 500-watt bulbs.

You can wire this by burying UF-B cable. Use 14/2 if on a 15-amp circuit, or 12/2 if on a 20-amp circuit. If you run this off the load side of a GFCI, you only need bury it 12 inches deep. It must be protected with conduit while above ground.

Go to your library or home center and get three books on home wiring. It'll tell you everything you need to know. If there are remaining questions, we're here to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: