confused

Old 07-03-04, 03:38 PM
confused

If I have power from the breaker box coming in to a bedroom switch. Can I run power to the ceiling light and seperately run power to a run of three receptacles from that switch?
I'm thinking I cant', because that is the way it is wired. The receptacles will work only when the switch is "on".
If that won't work, since I have a wire already running from the switch to the light. Can I bring in the power from the box to the light first and make it work?

Thanks kindly.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-04, 03:46 PM
If you have a power cable running into a switch box, you can run either switched or unswitched power from there to absolutely anywhere you want.

Let me see if I have the facts straight:
  • You started with a room that had a switch which controlled one or more switched receptacles.
  • You added a new ceiling light where there was no ceiling light before.
  • You ran a cable from the ceiling light to the existing switch box.
  • You would now like the ceiling light to be controlled by the switch, but you would like the receptacles to be hot even when the switch is off.
Did I get anywhere close?

Your terminology is a bit imprecise (e.g., your use of the word "power" is unclear), so I'd like to clarify a few things before we proceed:
  1. Did the switch box have two black wires and two white wires in it before you did anything? Or did it have more or fewer wires?
  2. Are/were both halves of the receptacle(s) switched, or just one half?
  3. The new cable you ran from the switch box to the ceiling has exactly one black wire and one white wire, true?

Old 07-03-04, 07:30 PM
thanks for the reply John,
Here's what happened.
I am in the process of finishing my basement and ran the wiring to one of the bedrooms that had no previous wiring. I ran 14/2 from breaker box to wall switch. I then ran 14/2 to ceiling light/box. I also ran 14/2 to a run of three receptacles from the same switch. I thought I would be able to keep the outlets "hot" when the switch was off. So what I have in the switch box are three 14/2 wires (breaker box, ceiling light, and outlets. All whites are connected and I pigtailed the black of the outlets and breaker box. Connected that to one post on switch and connected the other black (ceiling light) to other post.
Hope that made sense.
I have already drywalled, so hopefully there is a solution.
Thanks again.

Old 07-03-04, 08:08 PM
What you described is correct. So what you implemented is clearly not what you described. I suggest that you mixed up which black wire is which in the switch box. Try another combination. It'll take at most three tries.

Old 07-03-04, 08:20 PM
If the wiring is as you describe, then it should work, with the switch controlling the light, and continuous power to the receptacles.

The only thing that I can imagine is that you swapped what you think is the hot feed from your panel with the wire to the light.

-Jon

Old 07-03-04, 09:17 PM
well I'll be dipped in doggy doo doo.
I had mistaken my feeds. Works fine now. I appreciate the help.
I wish there was some kind of way to teleport a beverage of choice to all the kind people on this forum.
I've been helped out quite a bit on this basement project.