Two ACs on one circuit?

Old 07-03-04, 08:24 PM
lestasha
Visiting Guest
Cool Two ACs on one circuit?

If someone would be so kind, I'd like to know whether it is better and and also whether it is more effecient to run two window AC units (6.7 amps and 7.3 amps) on one grounded 20 amp circuit or run the 6.7 amp on an old 15 amp circuit without a ground and the other on the 20amp. I read you can put in a GFCI breaker and I think I could do that. Please weigh out the efficiency if there is a difference and the safety issue. Thanks for the advice.

Les

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-04, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think there are any efficiency issues here. I'd prefer to see you run these units on grounded circuits. But it could depend on what else if anything is on that 20-amp circuit.

Old 07-03-04, 09:24 PM
lestasha
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I already have installed a 20 amp grounded outlet and if I understand correctly I can hook into that outlet and install a second ooutlet in the neighboring room for the other AC unit. There is nothing else on the circuit. It was just that someone had mentioned that the units may be more effecient on separate circuits, but installing another dedicated circuit would be very difficult and expensive since the small pipe I threaded the wire through to the box in the basement won't hold another wire. Thanks for any further advice if anyone sees from my post that I need it.

Les

Old 07-04-04, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
I don't think there are any efficiency issues here. I'd prefer to see you run these units on grounded circuits. But it could depend on what else if anything is on that 20-amp circuit.
He didn't say if that 15 amp circuit was an ordinary conveniece circuit, or a left over previous dedicated circuit. I'd agree with you that using the grounded circuit would be best, and I'll add if that isn't possible, protecting an ungrounded circuit with GFCI would be 2nd best. But if he puts both A/C units on the same 20 amp grounded circuit, that leaves him with an already existing ungrounded circuit which might get used for something else. Which is better?

Old 07-04-04, 10:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with or unsafe about an ungrounded circuit. My house has several of them. Most electrical devices do not require or use a ground, and they are all safe.

What is unsafe is to use an applicance that does require a ground for safety on an ungrounded non-GFCI circuit. As long as it is understood that a circuit is not grounded and one does not try to use the circuit as grounded, there is no safety hazard.