Receptacle Placement

Old 07-03-04, 09:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle Placement

I just finished up my subpanel project and all seems well. I have voltage where it is supposed to be and the breaker isn't tripping. New question. I know there is a code for the placement of receptacles in the primary dwelling but does it apply to outbuildings? (sheds/detached garages). That is, can I place the receptacles at 36 to 48 inches to work around shop tables and to they have to be a uniform distance apart?

Thanks

Leslie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-04, 09:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code doesn't differential between main building and outbuilding. But it does differentiate between finished living space and unfinished space. There are no requirements for unfinished non-living space, so you can put the receptacles wherever you want them. But if you put receptacles in such spaces, you must of course provide on GFCI protection.

Old 07-06-04, 04:41 AM
R
rlrct
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by lamartin1965
... That is, can I place the receptacles at 36 to 48 inches to work around shop tables ...
If you're placing receptacles for a workshop, consider the height on the wall. If you intend to lean plywood against the walls, place your receptacles so you have at least 48" of clearance below the receptacles. This is not a code issue, just a practical item for you to consider.