Electrical Question as to Sparks

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-04-04, 07:31 PM
nowon
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Electrical Question as to Sparks

I have a question concerning small sparks between the outlet and the blade(s) of the plug upon plugging into the wall outlet in the house.
I noticed this at 2 different outlets.

Should I be concerned? What causes sparks as I don't recall seeing sparks normally when inserting a plug into most outlets.

Thanks for any help

Joe H
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-04-04, 08:29 PM
Skapare's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 198
Many modern appliances are now in an "always on" mode. That's on enough to have a CPU running to scan the keypads and detect remote controls, and such. When being plugged in, the power supply has to draw a quick bunch of current to charge up the capacitors. You see the sparks due to to that quick inrush of current.

One way to avoid this, and add some protection at the same time, is to add a surge protector power strip. Plug things in with the switch off, then switch it on when ready to go.
 
  #3  
Old 07-05-04, 09:24 AM
nowon
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I appreciate your advice, I know I could tell in a vehicle if there is a draw by touching the grd cable to the post but I never gave it a thought that it is the same with AC

Again thanks for the solution
Joe
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'