Rookie in the box

Old 07-04-04, 09:44 PM
lestasha
Visiting Guest
Rookie in the box

Could I ask a couple questions of the experienced? First, inside my electrical box there is a strip for the ground wires and another for the neutral wires. I recently wired a new circuit but found no more slots for the ground wire. I reasoned that I could put the ground wire in a slot with another ground wire. Was this correct? Second, I have used a couple different brands of breakers in my box, but outside the 240 volt breakers all say they are type HACR and have the same 120 voltage rating. There are 20 amp breakers on the new 12 guage wiring and 15 amp breakers on the old wiring. Is that all ok? Thanks for your helpful advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 09:52 PM
In most panels, it is okay to put two grounding wires under one screw. But it is not okay to put two neutral wires under one screw.

Sometimes you can use one brand of breaker in another brand of panel, but it is risky unless you know that they are really interchangeable. Sometimes a different brand of breaker will work okay, but will generate excessive heat because it doesn't really make good contact with the bus bar.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the rest of your statements, but I also cannot confirm that is it necessarily all correct. If you have any doubts, call an electrician to take a look.

Old 07-04-04, 10:48 PM
lestasha
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the help. I will try to find breakers of the same type, but since the electrician himself used one D brand breaker along with all the Challenger breakers, can I assume that at least those brands are interchangeable or should I assume he was cutting corners he should not have when he ran out of breakers? It was his installation and the advice of a store clerk that caused me to assume that the GE & T&B breakers I bought and installed were also ok. Thanks again.