Ran a new outlet

Old 07-05-04, 06:52 AM
HenryinFla
Visiting Guest
Ran a new outlet

I ran a new outlet in my ceiling for my television,
I tapped out of a junction box in my attic that houses the conections for 2 ceiling fans and 2 ceiling lights.
I attached black to black,white to white,and the ground to the other grounds.
Even with the television turned off when I switch the breaker it immediatly trips.
Does it matter which wires hook up to where on the outlet?
Could it just be a matter of the wires to the outlet being reversed?

Thanks,
Henry

Old 07-05-04, 08:10 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That would only work if those ceiling lights and fans were not controlled by a switch. You need to figure out which of the wires in your ceiling are ALWAYS hot and are not controlled by a switch. The connect that wire to the new receptacle's black wire. Then find a neutral wire for the white wire to the receptacle.

In the mean time, get a lamp and don't plug your TV into that receptacle until you know it is working. That can do serious damage to your TV set if it hasnt already.

On the "outlet", if you mean the receptacle Black (Hot) to copper screw, White (Neutral) to silver screw. YES it matters.

Old 07-05-04, 08:17 AM
HenryinFla
Visiting Guest
I got it. I was installing the backstabs one on top of the other instead of 1 in each side and was making a direct short.
Rookie mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-05-04, 12:19 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Use the screw terminals. Backstabs are a very common source of problems with poor connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: