Wiring my Home?

Old 07-05-04, 08:01 PM
paulp412
Visiting Guest
Wiring my Home?

What are some inexpensive ways to wire a home from scratch? I have a very old 60A and want to install 200A. Some rooms have only extension cords. I'm not ready to do it myself, and the time is getting short. I can help with the labor. I will remove the current walls, so it will be ready to wire. I really appreciate your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 09:43 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Paul there is no clear cut answer to your question. The cheapest way to wire any house is according to the articles of our countries National electrical code which is the minimum safety standards required to be used in all electrical installations. We could write a thick book on rewiring a house from scratch.....RL

Old 07-06-04, 10:47 AM
Don't remove any walls just yet. There are many ways to run new circuits into an existing structure. You need to contact an electrician to evaluate your particular house to determine the best way to run cables. While they are there, you can discuss any possible things you can do to assist.

Old 07-06-04, 02:55 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
One of the best things you can do is begin to educate yourself on residential electrical. John Nelson one of the moderators of this site recommends purchasing a few residential wiring books from a local home center and read them front to back. I agree with this completely this way when you begin your project whether you hire an electrician or not you have some knowledge about what is involved in the wiring process and why. Good design leads to the cheapest installation and knowledge leads to good design. Of course learning to rewire a house with new up to date installation isnt something you will pick up overnight. A rewire takes different techniques and methods than new construction and many here on this forum can answer your questions as you go. Someone experienced would be a big plus in this project. What are your plans? Hiring an electrician, or going it on your own, help from family? If you are just going to get the house ready for wiring you need to do as Scott says and get with your electrician and plan the prep work together.......RL

Old 07-07-04, 10:04 AM
As an "experiment",try doing one bedroom following this procedure;

Empty the room of all contents--- cover the floor with drop-cloths---- 2 ft. above the floor, cut a 1" groove in the walls along the entire perimeter of the room---with the studs exposed, scribe the out-line of a "deep" plastic outlet-box next to the side of a stud------cut out the box-opening in the wall finish---remove the cable-openings in the top of the O-B--- set the O-B against the side of the stud with the front of the O-B flush with the wall-finish----fasten the O-B to the stud with #10 sheet-metal screws and fender washers-----wire "outlet-to-outlet" with NM cable, and staple the NM cable to each stud---- fill the grooves with a "rough" coat of patching-plaster, then apply sucessive "finish" coats of joint-compound---

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!