Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Electrical wiring question: 2 circuits in one quad-size box

Old 07-06-04, 05:15 AM
jeffv2718
Visiting Guest

Hi everyone,

I've just finished framing out an unfinished area of my basement for a workshop, and I'm now running several 12/2 romex circuits through the studs for the new electric service. (An electrician will be hooking up my wiring to a subpanel, and that panel to the main breaker box.)

I'm planning four cicruits around the perimeter:
- 220 V for dust collector
- 220 V for table saw and jointer
- 110 V for general use - A
- 110 V for general use - B

I wanted two 110V circuits around the entire room, with each connected to a duplex receptacal. To make the drywalling easier, I thought I would just put two duplex receptacles in a single quad-sized box. I purchased receptacles of different colors so I could see which circuit is which, and if I was running something that eats a lot of current on one of the circuits, I could use the other for something else.

My question is: when I install two duplex receptacles next to eachother in the same quad box, the receptacle-attachment screws for the hot side of one circuit are really close (less than 1/2") to the screws on the neutral side of the other. Should I put some type of insulator between the two receptacles inside the box to keep them physically separated, or is this kind of thing done all the time?

Thanks in advance for your help!
- Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 05:54 AM
you could tape them, or put one side upside-down.

Old 07-06-04, 06:31 AM
The voltage involved is insufficient to cause the current to jump that half inch. In many boxes, the grounding wire comes closer than that to the hot screws. In metal boxes, the screws are closer than that to the grounded metal box. You have no worries here.

Although you can certainly use the double-gang box, I don't see how that makes the drywalling easier. You still need just as many boxes. And frankly, eliminating an electrical box only saves you a couple minutes during the drywalling. I would put the boxes where they meet code and will be most useful, regardless of the drywalling.

Old 07-06-04, 09:19 AM
jeffv2718
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I had already bought all the boxes and everything, and they're already nailed in the walls, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to redo/rebuy anything.
- Jeff