Wire Size Needed For Home Service?

Old 07-06-04, 02:22 PM
Bob Hall
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wire Size Needed For Home Service?

We are going to build a new home and I need some advice on the electrical portion.

In the front of the property their is an existing 200 amp main service, what we are going to do is run from that panel 375 feet under ground to where the house will be built.

Looking at the voltage drop calculators on the net it looks like we could use 3/0 USE direct burial copper wire and still be within tolerances for voltage drop of less then 5%.

What do you experts think from real life experence?

Old 07-07-04, 03:40 PM
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 130
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is generally considered acceptable for a total voltage drop of 5%.

A good rule of thumb is to allow 2% for the service, leaving 3% for the feeders and branch circuits.

Until you do a Demand Load Calculation per Article 220 of the NEC it is impossible to ascertain the required conductor size.

A full 200A load @ 375 feet would merit 500MCM.
Old 07-08-04, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 579
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why you want to feed from this panel. If main breaker in that panel trips, you're going to have to walk 375 feet to reset it.

Where I live, you would just put the panel for the meter on the side of your house, and it is the responsibility of the power company to run the correct wire to it. Is that not an option?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: