Low Voltage Wiring

Old 07-06-04, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage Wiring

As part of a basement remodel I need to run a cable along the joists to connect a movie screen with the ceiling mounted projector. I have not purchased either yet but understand that the wire would carry 12 volts. When the projector is powered the cable would trigger the movie screen to lower.
I have been told that Cat-5 cable, which is 24 guage, would work but it seems a bit light.

I would appreciate advice as to appropriate wire size for this 12 volt application.

Thanks
DavidJ

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 03:12 PM
Voltage isn't the determining factor. Amperage is. So tell us the amps or the watts (from which we can determine the amps).

Old 07-06-04, 03:43 PM
Unfotunantly I have not been able to find any wiring specs for home theater screens so I don't know what the amperage would be. Since it is just a trigger that activates the screen motor I have to think it would be the similar to a wired garage door opener which I believe is around 20 AWG. Since it is only 15 feet, I will play it safe and put in some #14 before the sheet rock goes up.

DavidJ

Old 07-06-04, 05:52 PM
You say it's just a trigger. So the screen motor plugs into a regular outlet or has some other power source independent of this trigger wire? Even so, at 12 volts, the current could be higher than you think. I'd feel better if you found those specs, but #14 should be pretty safe.